The Atlanta Falcons pass rush gets a major boost in NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah’s latest mock draft.
The Falcons take Oregon Ducks edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux in Jeremiah’s second version of his mock draft.
“Thibodeaux is a true wild card in this draft,” writes Jeremiah. “I could see him going anywhere from No. 2 overall to outside of the top 10. Atlanta has a HUGE need for pass-rush help.”
On the surface this looks like a steal for the Falcons. Thibodeaux has been the No. 1 overall pick on a majority of mock drafts for the past year, but why is the 6’5 and 258 pound destroyer from the Northwest falling so fast?
There have been rumblings of work-ethic concerns surrounding Thibodeaux since the tail end of the 2021 season. He missed a month of the season, most of September, with an injury, but still managed 49 tackles with seven sacks and 12 tackles for loss.
The combine and the personnel interviews will be important for Thibodeaux next week, maybe even more so than the testing. If there are character concerns surrounding him, he’ll have a chance to put those questions to rest next week the same way former Oregon stars Justin Herbert (QB, LA Chargers) and Penei Sewell (OT, Detroit Lions) have.
The pick certainly makes more sense than ESPN’s Todd McShay’s pick for the Falcons in his latest mock draft. But to be fair, McShay’s selection, wide receiver Drake London of USC, seems to be skyrocketing up draft boards and isn’t available at No. 8 on Jeremiah’s draft.
London goes to the Giants at No. 7.
Jeremiah has a couple of upsets in his top 10 including Northern Iowa offensive tackle Trevor Penning at No. 6 to the Carolina Panthers and UGA’s Travon Walker at No. 5 to the New York Giants.
Daniel Jeremiah’s Top 10 Mock Draft
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
- Detroit Lions – Aidan Hutchinson, Edge, Michigan
- Houston Texans – Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
- New York Jets – Ickey Ekwonu, OT, NC State
- New York Giants – Travon Walker, Edge, Georgia
- Carolina Panthers – Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
- New York Giants (via Bears) – Drake London, WR, USC
- Atlanta Falcons – Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon
- Denver Broncos – Jermaine Johnson, Edge, FSU
- New York Jets – Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati